The nose is one of the main focal points of a person’s face, meaning it can play a big role in your appearance and overall confidence. If you often find yourself bothered by the shape, size, or positioning of your nose, a Rhinoplasty may be right for you…
Do You Know This About Your Nose?
Whether you’re looking at it from a profile or frontal view, your nose assumes one of the most prominent positions on your face (along with the eyes/brows and smile).
When it comes to a Rhinoplasty (more commonly referred to as a nose job), the shape of your cartilage, bone, and overlying skin are all taken into account when creating your personalized surgical plan. Ideally, you’ll want your Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon to align your nose with the other prominent facial features, thus creating results that are symmetrical, harmonious, and as natural-looking as possible.
The Rundown on Rhinoplasty
From function to aesthetics, there are many reasons men and women of all ages come to The Lucas Center seeking Rhinoplasties. Some of the most common reasons include:
- An oversized, disproportionate, or asymmetrical nose
- A wide bridge or base
- A drooping or upturned tip
- Deviated septum or restricted nose canal (which can cause breathing problems)
- General bumps or depressions that alter the appearance
What to Expect: Results & Recovery
If you’re considering a Rhinoplasty, here’s a few important things to keep in mind…
- Discomfort, bruising, and swelling are all common post-surgery but fade fairly quickly
- The leading cause of discomfort after nose surgery is from packing the nose, which is why Dr. Lucas does not do this during his Rhinoplasties
- Dr. Lucas does require patients to wear a splint for the first 3 days post-op, followed by tape for 2 weeks (this allows the overlying skin to adapt to the new shape underneath)
- Difficulty breathing may occur, but can be improved with the help of topical and oral over-the-counter decongestants like Afrin or Sudafed
- Recovering from a nose job takes about 6 months, but you should see significant improvements and be able to return to regular daily activities after the first month
“Some patients come to us seeking a Rhinoplasty but our examination determines it wouldn’t be as beneficial as another procedure. For others, it can be the most transformative option and performed in tandem with nasal surgery (if needed) or another aesthetic procedure to achieve desired results. This is why a personalized consultation and plan is so important.” – Dr. Jay Lucas
During every personalized Rhinoplasty consultation, Dr. Lucas, a premier plastic surgeon in Knoxville, begins by analyzing the structural integrity of the nose and features surrounding it from multiple angles. In some cases, he may elect to use the VECTRA 3D Imaging System to help patients visualize their results. This high resolution system takes three dimensional photographs of the patient’s nose to produce a realistic rendering of their post-surgery results.
Creating Confidence in Knoxville & Beyond
The Lucas Center is proud to help create precise, beautiful results with cosmetic surgery procedures like Rhinoplasties. We see patients from Knoxville, Maryville, Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, Abington, and surrounding areas in East Tennessee, as well as those from out-of-state, and we’d love to see you next!