Does a bump on the bridge of your nose bother you every time you look in the mirror? Or maybe you have a curved or hooked nose that stands out every time you see a picture of yourself. Perhaps your nose simply feels too large for your face.
Despite its small size in relation to the rest of the body, the nose is a major focal point that can have a big effect on a person’s appearance — which explains why your eyes may go right to the very thing you don’t like about it.
Whatever your concern with your nose, rhinoplasty (commonly known as a “nose job”) may be the solution to help you breathe easier (literally, in some cases!) and feel more confident and comfortable with your face overall.
Let’s take a look at what it entails so you can better consider whether this procedure may be a good fit for you.
Rhinoplasty from Start to Finish
If you think you may be ready to get a nose job, your first step is to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Lucas here at The Lucas Center.
During this personal consultation, Dr. Lucas will first listen to your needs and wants. Then, he will analyze the structural integrity of your nose and the features surrounding it from multiple angles. He may also use our advanced VECTRA 3D Imaging System to help you visualize your results. This high-resolution system takes three-dimensional photographs of your nose to produce a realistic rendering of your post-surgery results — so you can preview the transformation and feel confident moving forward.
Finally, Dr. Lucas will make a personalized recommendation for your care. In some cases, he may advise you that another procedure would better address your concerns. Rather than encouraging you to get an unnecessary procedure, Dr. Lucas’s goal during this time is to make the best plan for your overall health and to help you achieve real, lasting confidence.
Spending Surgery Day in Good Hands
On the day of the procedure, you’ll be in excellent hands. Based on your personalized surgical plan, Dr. Lucas will make skilled adjustments to your cartilage and bone and re-drape your skin to give you the symmetrical, proportional results you want.
Dr. Lucas has over 20 years of experience as a plastic surgeon in the East Tennessee area, and his unique background, including a craniofacial fellowship and even a doctorate in dental surgery (D.D.S.), gives him advanced knowledge of facial surgeries. Plus, his passion and skill with the delicate structures of the face make rhinoplasty one of his favorite procedures to perform.
Recovery from Rhinoplasty
Naturally, many patients worry about what recovery from surgery may be like. Here are some key things to know about post-op recovery from rhinoplasty:
- Discomfort, bruising, and swelling are all common but fade fairly quickly.
- The leading cause of discomfort after surgery is from packing the nose, which is why Dr. Lucas does not do this during his rhinoplasties. Instead, he utilizes a suture technique for closing extra space on the septum.
- Dr. Lucas does require patients to wear a splint for the first 3 days post-op, followed by tape for 2 weeks. (This allows the overlying skin to adapt to the new shape underneath.)
- Difficulty breathing will likely occur for several weeks but can be improved with the help of over-the-counter decongestants like Afrin or Sudafed.
- Complete recovery from a nose job takes about 6 months, but you should see significant improvements and be able to return to regular daily activities after the first month.
Book Your Rhinoplasty Today
Now that you know what’s involved with a rhinoplasty procedure, we’d love to see you at The Lucas Center! Whether you’re ready to set a date or need more time for discussion and questions with Dr. Lucas, we’re here to help you take the next step on your health and confidence journey. Call us today at (865) 218-6210 or request your initial consultation here.